Buttocks and Hamstring Stretch
Stretches the muscles of the buttocks and
hamstrings (back of the thighs).
- Lie on your back with your knees bent about shoulder-width
apart and your feet flat on the floor.
- Cross your right ankle over your left thigh and
bring both knees to your chest.
- Bring both hands behind your right thigh and gently
increase the stretch in your buttocks by bringing your legs closer to
- Then straighten your left thigh and feel the stretch
in the hamstrings.
- Hold for 20-30 seconds.
- Repeat on the other side.
- If you have very tight muscles, there is no need
to use your hands to pull your legs toward your chest. Just keep them
over your hips.
- If you feel discomfort in the knee joint of the
leg that is crossed, bring the knee inward toward the center of your body
instead of keeping it in outwardly rotated position. If there still is
discomfort, avoid this stretch altogether.
- Keep breathing as you hold the stretch.