Wall Abdominal Crunch
Firms and strengthens the abdominal muscles, particularly the rectus abdominis.
An exercise mat, a wall or bench to lean your legs on.
- Lie on your back while keeping your feet on a wall hip-width apart with your knees in line with your hips.
- Bring both hands underneath your head with your elbows out to the side.
- Start the movement by contracting your abdominal muscles. You should feel like your are bringing the bottom of your ribcage closer to the top of your hipbones. You will feel the lower back pressing against the floor.
- Stay in the contracted position for a few seconds.
- Slowly lower your upper body down to the mat.
- Avoid using your hands to pull your head and neck forward.
- Keep your elbows at the side of your head throughout the exercise. Avoid bringing them in closer to your face as your curl your torso upward.
- Move slowly.
Do anywhere from eight to fifteen repetitions. Do one to three sets.
Go to Common Exercises...