V-Sit with Open Legs
This yoga and Pilates-inspired exercise strengthens the abs and quadriceps (front of the thighs) as well as stretches the hamstrings (back of the thighs) and inner thighs.
1. Sit with your back straight, feet together, knees bent and open. Hold behind the thighs or the back of the ankles.
2. Lean back and balance on buttocks. Lift your feet off the floor. .
3. Contract muscles in the front of the thighs as you straighten your legs one at a time.
4. Alternately bend and straighten legs for the desired number of repetitions.
1. Ideally, both your back and your legs should be straight as you perform this exercise in the V-sit position. If you can’t do both, emphasize a straight back instead of straight legs. Avoid rounding your back to achieve straighter legs.
2. A harder option is to bend and straighten both legs.
Do five to ten repetitions.
Go to Common Exercises...