This exercise stretches the muscles at the back of the shoulder as well as increases flexibility of the shoulder joint.
• Raise both arms above your head. Reach for the middle of your back with your right hand. Keep your right elbow pointing to the ceiling and use your left hand to gently pull your elbow toward the center of your body. You should feel a stretch in the back of your arm.
• Maintaining the position of your arms and shoulders, gently bend towards the left side until you feel a stretch in the side of your body.
• Hold the stretch for the desired length of time.
• Repeat on the other side.
• If you have lower back problems, ask your doctor’s advice first before doing this stretch.
• Keep your knees slightly bent and your abdominal muscles tight to avoid overarching your lower back while you are doing the stretch.
• Only bend far enough to feel a gentle stretch at the side of your body.
• Keep breathing as you hold the stretch.
Hold for 10-30 seconds.
Go to Common Exercises...