Standing Hamstring Curl with Ankle Weights
This exercise firms the muscles at the back of the thighs (hamstrings).
Ankle weights. A chair for balance.
- Stand with your feet together while holding the back of a chair for balance.
- Tighten your abdominals and curl your knee, bringing your heel towards your buttocks.
- Slowly lower your foot down towards the floor.
- Do the required number of repetitions, then switch to the other leg.
- Keep abdominal muscles tight so you don't arch your back when you curl your leg.
- Focus on contracting the muscles at the back of your thigh to start the movement, rather than just jerking your heel to your buttocks.
- Move slowly.
- If your muscles are very weak, start with no ankle weights at all. Work your way up to three to five pounds per leg.
Do 12 to 15 repetitions. Rest. Do one or two more sets if you want to.
Go to Common Exercises...