Sitting Quadriceps Strengthener
This is a simple way to strengthen the quadriceps (muscles in the front of the thighs) and the knee joint.
Exercise mat and ankle weights
- Sit on a mat with one leg bent and one leg straight.
- Placing your hands behind you at your sides, lean back slightly.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles.
- Lift the straight leg a few inches off the floor by squeezing and contracting the quadriceps.
- Hold for a few seconds.
- Lower down to the floor slowly.
- Do the desired number of repetitions. Rest. Switch sides.
- Don't use ankle weights until you are strong enough. Many times, the weight of your leg is enough resistance.
- Make sure abs are held tight and lower back is comfortable. If you feel any sort of pressure or tension in your back, keep the leg on the floor and just squeeze and tighten the muscles.
- Keep your shoulders down and relaxed. Avoid hunching over. Maintain good posture.
Do eight to twelve repetitions per leg.
Go to Common Exercises...