Rubber Band Sidestep
Firms and tightens the muscles of the hip.
Exercise rubber band (DynaBand or ExerRing). Long flat rubber bands that are used for tying pipes or faucets are a good substitute.
- Tie the rubber band in such a way that it forms a circle around your ankles. The circle should be short enough that when you stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, there is tension on the band. However, it should be long enough that you will be able to move one leg to the side.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent, hands on hips and abdominal muscles tight. This is your starting position.
- Keeping your toes facing forward and your shoulder and hips square (not twisting sideways), take a step to your right with your right foot.
- Bring the foot back to your starting position. Do the desired number of repetitions on the same side.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Use the muscles of your hip to step sideways while keeping your feet, shoulders and hips facing front.
- Keep abdominal muscles tight.
- Keep knees slightly bent to keep your balance and avoid knee joint injury.
- Keep your weight centered between your legs both in the starting position and as you step to the side.
Go to Common Exercises...