Prone Hamstring Curl
Strengthens the hamstrings - muscles at the back of the thighs.
Surgical tubing (available at drug stores) or thick rubber band (the type used for sling shots).
- Lie prone (face down) with the rubber band tied (double knot) around your ankles.
- Curl the right leg towards your buttocks while keeping the left leg anchored on the floor.
- Slowly return to starting position.
- Keep the abdominal muscles tight throughout the exercise.
- Avoid arching the back as you curl the leg to buttocks.
- Start the movement by contracting your hamstring muscle instead of jerking your foot.
- If this exercise bothers your back, don't do it.
Do 12 to 15 repetitions per leg. Rest. Do one or two more sets.
Go to Common Exercises...