Row with Rubberband
Strengthens the latissimus dorsi. This
muscle is found in the side of your upper back and when well-developed gives
the upper body a V-shaped look
One pair of three to five feet long rubberbands that you can purchase at sporting
good stores. You can make your own by buying rubberbands used for slingshots
at a hardware store or market. You can also use surgical tubing, which you
can buy at a drugstore. If you need to shorten the band for more tension,
make sure to loop it loosely around your hand. Always check your rubberband
for tears before using it. As you get stronger, you can use two rubberbands
instead of one.
- Stand with your legs shoulder width apart and knees
slightly bent while facing your partner. You and your partner will each be
holding the opposite end of one rubberband in each hand.
- Extend your arms with the palms facing each other,
elbows slightly bent and at waist level.
- Before you start the exercise, squeeze your shoulder
blades together lightly. You will hold them together all throughout the exercise.
Make sure you are standing enough of a distance away from your partner so
there is tension in the rubberband as you hold your arms straight. This is
your starting position.
- Keep your body steady as you slowly pull your arms
- Return to the starting position.
- Only pull your elbows slightly past the sides of your waist.
- When returning to the starting position, continue to maintain tension in
the rubberband and keep your shoulder blades squeezed together.
- Exhale as you pull your arms towards you and inhale as you return to the
- Keep your abdominal muscles tightened so you can maintain your balance.
Do one set of twelve to fifteen repetitions. Rest. Do two more sets if you want
to Common Exercises...