THIS exercise strengthens the back of
the arms (triceps), which tends to become soft and flabby in most women
Dumbbells and a gym stool.
Sit on a gym stool.
Hold a dumbbell with both hands and
place it above and behind your head, elbows straight.
Bend elbows, lowering dumbbell behind
but close to the head.
Keep the shoulders relaxed; don't
let them hunch upward.
Avoid moving the elbows; keep them
near the sides of your head as lower and raise the dumbbell.
- Keep elbows slightly bent, not locked, when you straighten
- When arms straighten to lift the weight, pull in
the abdominal muscles to avoid arching the lower back.
- Hold the dumbbell securely, especially when it is
overhead. The last thing you want is to drop it on your head or toes.
- Keep knees slightly bent to avoid overarching the
- If this bothers your back, stop doing the exercise.
8to 15 repetitions. Rest. One to three sets.
Go to Common Exercises...