Strengthens the middle portion of the deltoids or shoulders. Since it is one-sided, it also challenges the core muscles.
1. Stand with feet just slightly apart with one hand on your hip and a dumbbell in the other hand.
2. Raise your arm to shoulder level.
3. Return to starting position.
4. Do the desired number of repetitions. Repeat on the other side.
1. Do not raise your arm higher than shoulder level to avoid injury to the shoulder joint.
2. Lightly contract your torso muscles to stabilize yourself as you raise and lower your arm.
3. Exhale when you raise arm up; inhale when you lower arm down.
Twelve to fifteen repetitions.
Go to Common Exercises...