Shapes the sides of the torso (external and internal obliques).
- Lie on back, knees bent, feet on floor, with hands held lightly behind head.
- Lift one shoulder and upper torso off floor, twisting toward the opposite knee.
Do this by contracting the muscles at the sides of your torso rather than jerking the head, and shoulder up.
Be careful not to pull on your head and neck with your hands.
- Return to starting position slowly and repeat with the other side.
This makes one repetition.
- When you first start, do only as many repetitions as your strength allows you to.
Build to 15 repetitions per set. One to three sets.
- Repeat a few times.
- Keep elbows away from face to prevent pulling on head and neck.
- Move slowly to get the full benefit from the exercise.
A common mistake is to move rapidly.
- Keep the spine pressed to the floor so hips do not roll from side to side.
Go to Common Exercises...