Strengthens and firms the external and internal oblique muscles that criss-cross the waist.
1. Lie on your back, knees bent, feet on floor, with hands held lightly behind head.
2. Lift one shoulder and upper torso off floor, twisting toward the opposite knee.
3. Return to starting position slowly and repeat with the other side. This makes one repetition.
4. Do the desired number of repetitions.
1. Keep elbows away from face to prevent pulling on head and neck
2. Keep the lower back pressed to the floor so hips do not roll from side to side.
3. Contract your oblique muscles to twist at the waist rather than jerking the head and shoulder up.
Do 10 to 15 repetitions twisting to the right and left. Another option is to do all repetitions towards the right, then do the other side.
Go to Common Exercises...