This yoga-inspired exercise stretches the waist, inner thighs, hamstrings (back of the thighs), and buttocks.
1. Sit in a half straddle with one leg straight and the other bent. Flex your foot and tighten up the muscles in the front of your thigh.
2. Bend sideways.
3. Then, carefully turn towards your leg with both arms reaching forward.
4. And finally, walk your hands on the floor and reach forward in front of your body.
5. Slowly return to the starting position.
1. Keep your buttocks pressed against the floor in all the positions. Avoid tilting your pelvis to reach further.
2. If you cannot reach your toes, hold your shins or ankles.
3. Try to relax as you hold each position. Keep your shoulders free from tension.
4. Focus on keeping your inhalation and exhalation even and consistent.
5. If you cannot maintain a straight back in the starting position because your hamstrings are not as flexible, roll up a towel and put it under your buttocks. This will elevate your pelvis and make it easier to sit with a straight back.
One breath equals breathing in and breathing out. Hold for each position for three to five breaths.
Go to Common Exercises...