Seated Calf Stretch with Strap
Stretches the muscles of the calf (muscles at the back of the lower leg).
a) Towel, belt, or specialized stretch strap.
b) Exercise mat.
- Sit with your left leg straight and your right knee bent with the foot touching the left inner thigh.
- Place a towel, belt or specialized stretch strap on the ball of your left foot. Hold the stretching aid with both hands.
- Gently pull the strap towards you until you feel a stretch in the back of your lower leg, your calf muscle.
- Hold for at least ten seconds.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Keep your back straight.
- Keep breathing as you hold the stretch.
- If you have tight hamstrings (muscles at the back of your thigh), this stretch will also improve flexibility in that area.
- Be sure and place the strap on the ball of your foot and not on the arch or heel. Otherwise, you will not get the proper stretch in your calf.
Go to Common Exercises...