Alternating Front Arm Raise
This exercise shapes the front of the shoulder.
1. Stand with knees slightly bent, shoulders relaxed and abdominal muscles contracted.
2. Hold dumbbells at your side with palms facing in.
3. Keeping arm straight (with elbow just slightly bent) raise it to shoulder level.
4. Return to starting position and repeat with other arm. This counts for one repetition.
1. Keep elbows slightly bent throughout exercise. Lifting with overextended elbows can cause elbow pain.
2. Avoid leaning back when you lift the weight. Keep abdominal muscles tight.
3. Exhale when you lift; inhale when you lower.
4. The anterior deltoid is a small muscle. Use light dumbbells.
5. Option: Alternate arms by lowering one arm as you simultaneously lift the other.
Do 10 to 12 repetitions.
Go to Common Exercises...